Thursday 20 September 2012

Gimme some o' that booza


How to order some Ben and Jerry’s ice cream
Here is an example of how you might order something in a shop or a store.  In this case a female customer wants to buy some ice cream, and this is her interaction.


Customer (f.): Mar7aba, kifak?
Hello, how are you?

Storeowner: Mar7aba, ana mni7 u kifik 2nti, demoiselle?
Hello, I’m fine, and how are you, miss?

Customer (f.): Ana kamên mni7a, merci.
I’m well too, thank you.

Storeowner: Kif fineh se3dik?
How may I help you?

Customer (f.): Baddé  Ben & Jerry’s booza, izabitreed.
I want/would like some Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, please

Storeowner: Ok, 2ayya no3?
Ok, which flavor?

Customer (f.): Um, please, 3atiné Chocolate Fudge Brownie u Phish Food.
Um, please give me Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Phish Food.

Storeowner: Haydôl?
These ones?

Customer (f.): N3am, haydolik.
Yes, those ones.

Storeowner: Ok, addéch?  Hal 2add mni7?
Ok, how much?  Is this amount good?

Customer (f.): Lla2,  aktar, please.
No, more, please.

Storeowner: Tfaddalé.
Here you go.

Customer (f.): Ok, merci.  Addéch kilshi?
Ok, thank you. How much for everything?

Storeowner: Khamseh u 3ishreen alf.
25,000 LL.

Customer (f.): Ok, tfaddal
Ok, here.

Answer Key for Previous Post
Below is the Answer Key for the exercise given at the end of the previous post.


English
Lebanese Arabic
You (m.) were there.
Inta kenet honik
Jasmine is tired
Jasmine te3beneh
Tod is happy
Tod mabsout
Jasmine is tall
Jasmine tawileh
Tod is short
Tod 2aseer
I was sad (m. and f.)
Kenet ze3len / Kenet ze3leneh
I am Indian (f.)
Ana Hindiyyeh
I am American (f.)
Ana Amerkeniyyeh
I am French (f.)
Ana Frensewiyyeh

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of icecream! B&J is also crazy expensive though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Johann Q. Yeah, B&J isn't cheap, as you know. But I was also a bit hungry when I wrote this. I'm told shops like the one depicted above don't exist in Lebanon, nuts.

    ReplyDelete